About Us

A little History

 

  • Located in downtown Steamboat Springs, Colorado, the historic Chief Theater was once a single-venue theater offering live performances and events from the late 1920's through the late 1950's.

  • Built in 1926, the building has been remodeled four times, reflecting four distinct periods of architecture.

  • The Chief was the first theater in Northwest Colorado to show “talkies.”

  • The bidet in the ladies’ room was the first in a public space in Northwest Colorado.

  • The building was named for its original owner, “Chief” Harry Gordon, a prominent Steamboat Springs resident and member of the Miami Indian Tribe. Despite his nickname, Gordon was not a tribal leader.

  • Michael Barry, purchased the building in 1970.

  • As originally designed, the building featured an Indian motif.

  • Drastically remodeled in the 1980s, the space was divided into a four-plex movie theater with 2 retail spaces.

  • The Chief was first placed under contract by the Friends of the Chief Foundation in Fall 2011.

  • The Chief Opened as a cultural and performing arts center in the summer of 2013.